Friday, September 21, 2012

You are the universe.



every time i feel like my problems are too big to handle, i remind myself of my origins: every molecule in your body was created in the heart of an exploding star. “we are star dust, in the highest exalted way, being called by the universe, reaching out to the universe, with the methods and tools of science.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson.

someone asked me if my fascination with the cosmos made me feel small. if, after studying the infinites of the universe, i would even see meaning in existence here on earth as such a small fraction of a fraction of a thing. in my opinion, viewing things on a cosmic scale can be very humbling, but at the same time make you feel so blessed, so special, to be alive at this point in time. it helps me to take a step back from the focus on our personal relationships and realize that a sad moment is far from everything. it also helps me focus on relationships though. because in this unfathomably enormous existence, what else can we do but our best to make it an enjoyable one? in our own small worlds, personal relationships are the most important aspect of living a happy, healthy life. without our friends, without our families, we are nothing.

so no, having a galactic perception of existence does not mean that i don’t see the importance of the small. if nothing else, it intensifies my appreciation. if we shrink down the age of the universe to one year, the entirety of human civilization has taken place in the past 5 seconds. so enjoy yourselves, you are here at the best possible time. keep calm, and remember:



No comments:

Post a Comment